To help you live well - physically, emotionally and spiritually
Palliative Care focuses on improving a person’s quality of life throughout the course of serious illness or after a life-changing injury. Patients often receive palliative care along with other medical treatments.
Palliative Care is a relatively new medical specialty that we recommend for patients to help achieve the highest quality of life possible. We work with all your doctors and providers to coordinate the best care.
The Palliative Care Team at Mt. Ascutney Hospital and Health Center offers you the best healthcare professionals to help you manage your symptoms. Staff you may see include:
- social workers
- case managers
Together, our team of professionals offer advice, specialized care, and long-term planning for you and your family.
Every day that you are a patient in the hospital, you will have visits from members of your team. This is time to talk about changes in your condition, your treatments, and your future care.
Outpatient visits are offered in the clinic either before or after discharge from the hospital.
Services and Resources
We address you as a whole person: your physical comfort, confidence, emotional well-being,
spirituality and dignity. Since your family is also involved in your illness, our palliative care team supports them, and helps them feel informed as well.
Services That You May Choose:
- Pain Management: Expert management of pain and physical symptoms. Our palliative care physicians are specialists in pain management.
- Care Coordination: We help keep your primary care and specialty care physicians, therapists and other members of your care team informed.
- Crisis Prevention and Management Plans
- Spiritual Care
- Social Services: You may need practical help with forms and paperwork, choosing between options for care or places to live. You may want help with Advance Directives.
- Complementary and Alternative Medicine Practitioners: Including massage, Reiki and more
- Vigil Companions: Specially trained volunteers available for comfort and support during the last days or hours of someone’s life.
For more information on Palliative Care services at Mt. Ascutney Hospital and Health Center, please call the Director of Patient Care Services at (802) 674-7224