WINDSOR, VT – Mt. Ascutney Hospital and Health Center, a nonprofit community hospital, celebrated its 40th birthday in its County Road facility on October 16th and recognized members of the 1933 Founders Society, a group of donors who have provided significant levels of monetary support over the past year. Originally named Windsor Hospital, the facility was established in the Stoughton House on Main Street, Windsor, and eventually outgrew its space. In 1972, Windsor Hospital relocated to a newly-built hospital facility on County Road and was re-named Mt. Ascutney Hospital and Health Center.
Since its inception, Mt. Ascutney Hospital has been grateful for the support of community members who appreciate the importance of what the Hospital provides to the community — high quality medical care close to home. The 1933 Founders Society is comprised of those whose leadership support helps the Hospital stay abreast of the latest technology and the most up to date options for patient care. Gifts to the Hospital’s annual fund support all aspects of hospital operations, as well as the acquisition of new equipment, introduction of new medical specialties, and enhanced patient services. Special purpose gifts this year helped the Hospital build a new Hospice Suite which opened in September.
Kevin Donovan, CEO of Mt. Ascutney Hospital, explained that the 1933 Founders Society provides leadership that solidifies a reputation for quality the Hospital continues to uphold. “Our Founders Society members, through their generous support, help assure that Mt. Ascutney Hospital and Ottauquechee Health Center provide the highest caliber of care for every person who walks through our doors,” stated Donovan. “Today we also celebrate the facility that has been built thanks to this unwavering community support. Over these last 40 years Mt. Ascutney Hospital has grown and enhanced services and we couldn’t be more proud of where we are today.”
Also speaking at this special birthday celebration was Dr. Elvin Kaplan, a retired pediatrician who served on the Medical Staff of the Hospital for over 25 years. Dr. Kaplan offered his reminiscences on the evolution of the Hospital over the past four decades. Mr. Donovan was joined by Nancy Loux, President of the Hospital Board of Trustees, and Patricia Waite, head of the Hospital Auxiliary, in recognizing Jeannette “Jan” Lynch for over fifty years of service to the hospital as a registered nurse, hospital and nursing home administrator, and volunteer leader. Mrs. Lynch began her career at the original Windsor Hospital in 1957, played a major role in the planning and fundraising effort that led to the building of the new hospital in 1972, and continues today as an active volunteer as part of the Hospital’s Auxiliary. A portrait photograph of Jan Lynch was presented that will hang in the Hospital, commemorating her 55 years of service.
For more information about the Founders Society at Mt. Ascutney Hospital, call (802) 674-7144 or visit mtascutneyhospital.org.