Donor-Advised Funds

Couple reviewing paperwork

A Donor-Advised Fund is like a charitable savings account. Here's how it works:

  • You transfer cash or other assets to a tax-exempt sponsoring organization, such as the Vermont Community Foundation, or a private company, like Fidelity Charitable or Schwab Charitable.
  • Whenever you want, you can recommend—but not direct—how much and how often money is granted to MAHHC or other charities.
  • You qualify for a federal income tax charitable deduction at the time you contribute and centralize your giving and record-keeping.

Recommend a gift now

If you already have a Donor-Advised Fund with Fidelity Charitable, Schwab Charitable or BNY Mellon, you may recommend a gift now using the simple form below.

A few other details

  • Most donor-advised funds require a minimum gift to open your fund, although additional contributions may require less.
  • You can make additional contributions to your fund at any time. Your contributions are invested by the sponsoring organization, which provides a regular accounting to you.
  • You can name a loved one as your successor to continue to recommend grants to charitable organizations, or you can name MAHHC as a beneficiary to receive all or part of the account after your lifetime.

Tips for choosing where to set up your fund

  • Evaluate the sponsoring organization carefully – When you make a gift to a Donor-Advised Fund you irrevocably give away your money or property. Make sure the organization you select is one that supports your values.
  • Understand the fund's policies and procedures – Minimum contributions, as well as the amount and frequency of grant recommendations, all vary depending upon the sponsoring organization.
  • Consider costs and investment – All Donor-Advised Funds charge administrative fees that can vary considerably. In addition, investment performance will vary from one Donor-Advised Fund to the next, affecting the amount that will actually be distributable to charitable organizations.

As with any investment choice, seek the advice of your financial or legal advisor.