Being depressed often feels like carrying a very heavy burden. Millions of Americans suffer from some form of depression every year, making it one of the most common disorders in the country.
Depression is more than simply a low mood: it causes mental pain, impacts on our ability to carry out even the simplest everyday tasks and can affect all areas of our life.
Some of the symptoms of depression include:
- Feeling numb/detached from others
- Appetite changes (poor appetite or eating too much)
- Decreased interest or pleasure in previously enjoyed activities
- Feelings of worthlessness or excessive guilt
- Decreased ability to concentrate
- Thoughts of death
- Difficulty with falling asleep, staying asleep or sleeping too much
- Mental health providers in the Windsor, VT, area (PDF)
- Mt. Ascutney Hospital and Health Center Mental Health resources